Friday, August 29, 2014

The Stamp Act

We are doing a lengthy unit on the American Revolution and I wanted to start it off in a way that would grab the students' attention, so I left the room for a second and came back in with a sheet of stickers, an empty jar, and told them I was the POTUS.  I said the school doesn't have enough money and that from now on the students were going to be required to buy a sticker for 5 cents to put on all papers that they turned in.  I said they would also need to buy a sticker to go to the bathroom, get a drink, go outside to recess, etc.  They also had to use their own money because their parents were paying enough to the school already.  At this point they are looking at each other, not sure what to believe.  They began talking to each other about it.  One student shouted out, "This is NOT fair!"  I gave a silent cheer inside my head.  Perfect student response.  We talked about how it would all work a bit more.  One student was getting more and more angry.  Finally he looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, "If this is real, then I am not going to this school anymore!  I have been saving MY money for a long time for something special!"

At that point, I stopped the scenario and said, "Exactly.  This is how the colonists felt when King George III decided that the 13 colonies should start paying taxes on paper goods.  I went on to explain the Stamp Act and other taxes that were demanded...

No comments:

Post a Comment