Friday, April 03, 2015

Books

Here are the books I have read recently:

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats I'd give this a 3.5/5.0.  I think the author tried too hard to create a surprising plot.

Yes, Please - This is Amy Poehler's book.  I don't know her at all and I didn't think the book was that great.  I read Tina Fey's book a long time ago and while I don't know her at all either, I thought her book was much better.

All the Light We Cannot See - I almost didn't finish this book because I really don't like WWII/Nazi books, but I did finish it, and it was excellent.  I'd give it a 4/5.

Atlas Girl: Finding Home in the Last Place I Thought to Look - This was my favorite, definitely a 5/5.  Barbara originally loaned it to me and I ended up buying it for myself because there were so many pages I wanted to highlight.  I read it in one night and cried my way through it.  I think this will be a book that I take out occasionally just to read over the parts that I marked.  I don't think it was spectacular writing, it was just a book that I needed to read.  So if you read it and say, "Wow, that was awful", keep in mind I didn't recommend it for others. :)

Here's one part that I loved:

But what I needed was love, to wrap me up in its arms and tell me how beautiful I was and to make me laugh.  I needed a love that smiled.  And I needed to know that God was't my dad or my mum, but when you're little, he is.  He is the face of your loved ones.  But your loved ones make mistakes. And God doesn't.  That isn't something you can see, though, when you're nine years old.  Yet there are always glimpses.  There are those nights when your dad reads an extra story or sings one more song.  There are those thunderstorms when your mum lights candles and you all stand on the back porch and count the Mississippis after the rumble until the sky cracks with light.  There are fresh homemade carrot cakes baked for your birthday and homemade stockings stitched with your name on them and home-sewn dresses out of red velvet and there's your dad making you and your sisters a playhouse in the woods.  There are family trips in the tent trailer to the Maritimes and there are pets; Misty, my cat, and then our dogs: Argus, a yellow lab, and Christy, a quiet black Newfoundland who laid down when she ate.  There is cross-country skiing and tapping maple trees and going square dancing.  There is hot maple syrup on snow and there's the Harvest Festival.  But when you're young, you see the gaps more than you do the glimpses.  You see the hole more than the donut.

I am thankful for the glimpses my parents came me as I was growing up...



No comments:

Post a Comment