Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Reformed

I've recently read this book through twice.  Reformed: What it Means, Why it Matters  It's short, 64 pages.

 I teach at a school that was begun by the Christian Reformed Church (CRC) and continues to be supported by that denomination.  I come from a Baptist upbringing.  I attended the school as a child without a problem and have taught there for five years without running into any glaring differences.  This is partly because I've never had a firm knowledge of the differences between the two denominations.  It is all much clearer now after reading this book.  For the past few years, I have done web searches, talked to a few people, trying to find an easy way to have the differences laid out.  This book very clearly lays out the Reformed faith.  Reading it has led to some good discussions between Sam and I, along with various friends.  I feel much more confident in what I believe, which leans towards the reformed side, while still having some question areas.  I'm never going to be one who feels the need to have every bit of theology ironed out.  I believe there are core beliefs that each Christian needs to have, but I also believe that much is not iron-clad, simply because we truly don't know.

One thing that I really appreciate about the Reformed faith is the belief in the sovereignty of God.  Here's a quote I especially like:  "Reformed teaching points us away from our own efforts because those cannot make us right with God...Reformed teaching points us to what God does and what God promises to do for us, in us, and through us that we cannot do for or by ourselves...This deeply felt confidence and assurance is, perhaps, the most precious contribution of the Reformed tradition to the Christian church as a whole."  This of course brings up the predestination vs. free will debate.  I find it a relief to come down on the predestination side.  "God is in control.  God does for us what we cannot do for ourselves...Because God is in control over everything I can be sure I'm right with him - not because I'm strong enough or good enough."  I feel like I have spent many years feeling like it was me, me, me.  Even with all of the "It is by faith you are saved" faith has always felt very works-based to me.  I remember years ago talking to Sam and he said something along the lines of "But that's because you think you need to earn your salvation."  I had never thought it through that way before.  I don't know if this came from the particular church I attended growing up, from doctrine I have heard, or just the personal expectations I put on myself, but I'm trying at this point to rest on the fact that God chose me.

I'm far from an expert and don't have a desire to be a theological expert, but I am thankful for the opportunity to explore my faith and theology a bit more at this stage in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment