Friday, November 21, 2014

How to Make Roasted Vegetables for a New Friend with a Cold

This was in the latest Reader's Digest: Dining with a Friend but it used the title above. I loved it.  I since have tried to get the books from the library but since they don't have them, now they are on my Amazon wishlist and I've added the blog to Feedly.

I loved that the roasted vegetables "recipe" was at the end because while I was reading I was thinking that it sounded like the perfect winter meal.  What I liked best about the article though were the lines about friendship.

"I was homesick...for the friend who I liked to sit with on winter evenings, drinking wine and talking about things that really happened and thoughts that we really have - a rare conversation, generally.  How many times do you talk about what's really going on with someone who will tell you what's really going on with her?"

The answer for me is seldom.  I love to listen to others, but I'm less inclined to want to share my true thoughts, the things I worry about, dream of, and am constantly planning for.  I don't like being vulnerable and I don't like explaining back stories, and I'm never quite sure why anyone would be interested anyway.  When I do have these rare two-way conversations, I enjoy them and appreciate them, but I'm normally content not opening up that far.

My mother is the main person who I share things with, because I know she cares, and she listens.  Perhaps unfortunately for her, she gets to hear the most.  She's the closest to knowing my thoughts, but even with her I can tend to phrase things carefully.  I'm probably odd.  I often think I am.  Sharing my feelings and things that really matter to me does not come easily.  I like to keep them close.

No comments:

Post a Comment