Sunday, September 28, 2014

A+ Spelling Test

This year I just started using this app in my class and with Toby.  A+ Spelling Test  I am loving it for both purposes.

In my classroom each child has their own spelling list each week with words pulled from their misspelled words.  Last year I had three parents who came in on Wednesday mornings and administered the tests individually.  This year I'm using this app.  I have one parent who inputs the lists into the ipad, one list for each child.  The words are put so that the child can see the word AND hear it.  On Wednesday mornings, the child puts on some headphones, chooses their spelling list, touches "Test", and the words are read to them.  They type them in.  It gives instant feedback at the end of the test using red and green circles.  I screenshot the test screen and put it in the child's electronic portfolio so the parents can see it.  It works very well.  The students complete it quickly and independently.

For Toby I input his list so he can see it and hear it and then throughout the week (every morning and night) he does one of the activity choices with his words.  He starts with Unscramble because that is the easiest and then progresses to taking the test on Thursday nights and Friday mornings, so that he is ready for his actual paper test on Friday at school.  This seems to be working very well for him.  He complains about the typing of the words so if I have time I will give him a test on paper just to give him a break, but this is a quick way for him to study daily without me having to be involved in the moment, and I can see his results.

No comments:

Post a Comment