Thursday, August 28, 2014

Articles and More

Here are some interesting articles I've read lately:

The Learning Myth by Sal Khan

Massachusetts Drivers' Licenses Not Up to Snuff

Which Digital Teacher Are You?

Serial Stowaway Arrested

Bullets and Burgers  - Without getting into any gun control debates, I can't even believe there is a place like Bullets and Burgers, AND that they let 9 year old children shoot machine guns.

Dan Beerens tweeted this article from The Banner, The Case for Christian Schools. I thought it was quite good, especially the part below.  I think WCS does a great job engaging the culture and providing direction, which is just one of the many reasons I love the school and the Christian Reformed views of the world belonging to God.


  Some parents believe that sending their kids to a Christian school will protect them from these competing stories. But it will not. A Christian school that does not engage the culture in which students live does its children and parents a disservice. Rather, Christian schools are to equip students with the tools to identify and respond to the idols of our time.


I've also just finished reading Divergent and Insurgent.  I started the series after watching the movie.  Divergent was remarkably like the movie and I enjoyed it although it wasn't great because I already knew the plot.  Insurgent was boring at first, but got better as I continued.  Now I'm waiting for the third book to come in from the library.  While I'm waiting, I'm starting The Invention of Wings.  I've heard it is fabulous, but I didn't love The Secret Life of Bees, so we'll see.

Sam and I started watching the movie "Her" the other night but shut it off because it was awful on every level.

Lucy and I went to see The Giver on Sunday.  It was excellent, and the ending didn't leave you hanging like the book does.

And I'm currently enjoying listening to 5 Seconds of Summer's "She Looks So Perfect".  I know, I know...

And if you are looking for something to do, take thirty-three 3 oz. Dixie cups and see how tall of a tower you can build.  The highest in my class was 68cm.

No comments:

Post a Comment