Monday, August 31, 2015

First Week

I just completed my first week as a principal with school in session and I loved almost every moment of it.  The biggest change for me is being in charge of my own time.  As a teacher, which is what I have been for the past 16 years, every moment of your time at work is already scheduled.  It's math, then it's reading, then it's a fifteen minute break, and so on.  Every day follows a schedule down to the minute.  Now, I enter the school building.  I greet students as they come in.  When school starts I go to  my office and look at my to-do list.  I start working my way through it.  I can switch the order.  I can have an impromptu meeting.  I can leave my office and take some pictures in classrooms.  I'm in charge of my time.  It's a very strange feeling.

The other change is that my job really ramps up around 2:30 when school gets out.  This is when the teachers are available, so there are conversations and meetings with many different people, which means my job continues until much later than it did as a teacher.

We had our elementary back to school night on Thursday night and it was a success.  My first event with all of the parents.  My beginning session went well (although it was about 95 degrees in the gym) and the teachers had fabulous, informative classroom presentations.

I'm ready for week 2.  This week will be a little easier because Sam starts back to school on Tuesday which means he is available earlier in the afternoon/evening to pick up the kids and help at home.  I also start teaching this week.  5 periods/week of technology - touch typing and computer programming. One class on Monday, three on Thursday, and one on Friday, which I think is a lovely schedule.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you :) Y our students and teachers are so blessed to have you as an administrator.

    ReplyDelete