Monday, June 22, 2015

New Position and Office

Over the past few weeks, I have been busy as a principal.  I switched the signature on my email which felt like a big move and it still takes me aback when I see it on the bottom.

I emptied out my classroom after 5 years, sorted through files, decided what I want to keep personally, what I am willing to share with the new teachers, etc.  Right now my classroom looks like a giant yard sale as I continue to sort and distribute books and resources that we have received from the teachers who are retiring.

I also have been working on my office.  I was given three options and I'm happy with my choice.  It's windowless, but it has air conditioning (which most of the school does not), and I think it's a great size for me.

I've purchased some wall decals that Jenny is going to help me put up and I have some pictures to hang and then it's pretty much done.  I do need some plants.  Plants that can survive without a window. ;)  I purchased my desk off of Craigslist from a Montessori school in Providence.  I purchased a bookcase from an older couple in Auburn.  My parents gave me two reception chairs and I was given a locking file cabinet.  I'm good to go.  I have a new laptop and an ipad that is for my use now.  It's strange to work in an office after always working in a classroom, but I love it.  I love the contained space, I love that it's mine, and I love that I can feel productive without many distractions.

I did have someone drop by to chat with me and as they sat in the chair and I was at the desk, it felt awkward.  Perhaps that gets easier with time.

I met with the assistant principal who is retiring to go over the tasks that I need to absorb.  That meeting added 68 items to my calendar....

This week I have my first two days of curriculum meetings with teachers, so I'm busy prepping for that, along with everything else that needs to happen in the summer to make sure the school year starts smoothly.

There is definitely a learning curve.  Some things I am naturally good at, others I am spending time just carefully listening in meetings, etc. to figure out.  Hopefully the feelings of inadequacy fade with time or perhaps it's good to always know that there is more to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment