Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Blue Apron

 My friend Jenny has been using Blue Apron for a couple of weeks and was able to send us a free trial week.  Blue Apron is a company that delivers the ingredients and recipes for meals to your house each week.  I picked out the three meals we wanted online and waited for our Tuesday delivery.  You have a choice of 2 meals for 4 people or 3 meals for 2 people.  We went with the 3 for 2 because we knew the kids wouldn't eat much of them anyway.


The box comes with a large ice pack and packing to keep things cold.

The first thing we pulled out were the recipe cards.

 Here's a look before we started taking things out.

Some of the ingredients

 Some more

 So Tuesday night Sam began making the fish tacos.  Each of the recipes said they would take about 30 minutes, they definitely took quite a bit longer, at least two of them took over an hour.  There is a lot of prep work involved.  Tuesday night was the night I took Amelia to the hospital, so I left mid-way through the preparing of the recipe.  Sam ate it alone, but saved some for me.  They were delicious.

I didn't get pictures of the other nights, but they were equally delicious.  Hearty portions, you could end up with leftovers, and ingredients that we wouldn't normally buy.  Mexican chocolate for our mole sauce, cactus for strips in our enchiladas.

Bottom Line:  Great for trying new dishes, love all the little packages and portioned items, expensive ($70 for 3 meals for 2 people), very time consuming, would be better if they did some of the prep work for you, delicious entrees and sides, great website, easy to pick out the meals you want, easy to cancel, easy to skip weeks if you just want to take a break.

I did cancel just to try out the cancelling process, but I think it is something we will use again, but not on a weekly or even monthly basis.

ETA: It's actually 59.94/week.  Also, my friend does have four free weeks to give away so if you are interested in trying it free for a week (you do have to cancel to not get charged for another week) then let me know.

1 comment:

  1. How does cactus taste? I hadn't heard of Blue Apron before.

    ReplyDelete