Monday, May 11, 2015

Appendectomy!

Tuesday morning Amelia woke up and as she was coming down the stairs she complained of stomach pain, but she didn't feel like she was going to throw up.  We headed off to school and throughout the day she still had intermittent pain.  By the time we got home around 4:30, she was still having pain and she had a fever, along with a stomach that was sensitive to the touch.  I called the doctor, they said to take her to the ER.

Because I don't feel like typing it all down, I'll refrain from all of the negative things I was going to say about the Pediatric ER at UMass University Campus, but it wasn't good.  One good thing was that one of the ultrasound techs was a girl that had been my friend when we both worked at Victory.  I hadn't seen her in 18 years, so it was nice to catch up for a minute.

Amelia had surgery on Wednesday around 1:30.  The surgery showed that her intestines are lined up differently than most people.  Her colon is one side and her small intestine on the other.  (We are supposed to follow up with this, but I think at this point I'm not planning on it.) He also nicked her colon, but assured me that he only had to put one stitch in and it would be fine, but then of course they decided to keep her overnight just to make sure it would be fine.

UMass finally came through once we were admitted on the Pediatric floor, lovely nurses, great playroom, and just a general good experience. I also highly recommend their ChildLife program which is made up of employees who work to make the child feel comfortable throughout their care.

We left on Thursday and she's been doing well at home every since.

 Early on in the ER

 Before Surgery

 After Surgery

1 day post-surgery

No comments:

Post a Comment