Monday, December 15, 2014

10 Days Until Christmas (written on Sunday)

This has truly been the fastest December that I can remember, perhaps they will continue to get faster as I get older and older, and if so, yikes!  Even though it seems to be coming quickly, it has been a more relaxed Christmas preparation time for us.  I have everything in Google Calendar, I know everything will get done by Christmas Day, and so I'm not worrying about it.  Today's task is to wrap all of the gifts.  Speaking of which, I organized all the presents, and all three of the children's gifts, plus their stocking things fit in a large Amazon box.  I didn't spend any differently this year, but none of them had anything very exciting on their lists, and obviously they didn't have anything large.  I got the teacher gifts ready yesterday and wrapped presents for my students with Sam's help, so I should be able to get it all done this afternoon.

Tonight Amelia, my grandmother and I are attending a Carol Sing-along at a church in Whitinsville.  I love church Christmas programs, especially ones where you get to sing also.  They always help me focus on God and remember what we are celebrating.  We always read "The Jesus Storybook Bible" as one part of our family readings.  The purpose of the book is to show God's plan from the beginning of time, as they call it, his "secret rescue plan".  With the birth of Jesus, the secret rescue plan enters its final years, after thousands of years of preparation.

Amelia and I went to the see The Nutcracker at Walnut Hill School in Natick.  This is my third year going.  A former student is in it and it has become a nice tradition.  This was Amelia's first time seeing a ballet and she enjoyed it.

In school we have been feverishly working on a Christmas gift for their parents.  The other 3rd grade teacher does the same project, but works on it each Friday starting in September.  I decided to do it all in two weeks, which has been exciting, and I'm sure the students will be relieved when it is over. :)  We're almost done, just finishing the assembly this week.  I'm thankful to get back to a somewhat normal schedule this week.

Last week, we went on a field trip to Blue Hill Weather Observatory.  It is the oldest working weather observatory in the US.  It's a very old building (1885) and the staff (3 men) are very dedicated.  They (ETA: not the current three men, of course) have recorded the weather every single day since it opened in 1885, amazing.  We definitely enjoyed our visit, even standing on the roof with the weather instruments in the freezing cold, with a snow squall.

Today is a bye week for hockey which feels luxurious.  Yesterday Lucy had a basketball game which they lost.  I grocery shopped yesterday, instead of today, which almost makes all this extra time today feel luxurious.  It just feels like a good day...

No comments:

Post a Comment