Saturday, March 08, 2014

Catching Up

I was going to put this all into a few separate posts throughout the week, but I'm not.

I’m now on Episode 51 of Mad Men.  As much as I’m enjoying it, it will be a relief when I have watched them all.  Of course, then I have to start streaming the current season.

Toby has one more hockey class.  Today he scored the only goal for his team in a scrimmage.  We just received the information about the House League and that is what he will be doing in the fall.  Season runs from October-March, with practices on Saturdays and games on Sundays, and it all takes place at the Auburn rink.

I have not read a book in a long time, for many reasons, Mad Men being one of them. I used to get every book I wanted from the library right away, but now I’ve been sending them back because they are due before I read them, so now I have a written list instead.

I had read somewhere that stand mixers are very good at shredding chicken, so the other day I tried it out.  I normally shred chicken with two forks and it is annoying.  The mixer did it quickly and uniformly!

On the school front, I feel like I’ve been living there recently.  With Sam available to pick up the kids more, I have been spending many more hours there at night.  On Thursday, Sam came to get Amelia, and Lucy and Toby were at a rehearsal for their concert, so I left school at 4:15.  While in the car, I called Sam and said I felt giddy.  It had been so long since I had been in a car in daylight.  Then I went to my parents and watched an episode of Mad Men.  It felt like vacation!

My class went on a field trip to a rest home and to the local food pantry.  Now we are heading to the Museum of Science on Monday.  We’ve also had some family members visit, an electrician to launch our electricity unit.  Sam came in to help tap trees for maple sugaring, and we have a father coming in to talk about his teenage years on a maple sugar farm in Canada.  Now I’m looking for a final culminating field trip.  I’m planning on an overnight trip, either at a museum or perhaps camping out at the school.

I really enjoyed this article. The Disturbring Transformation of Kindergarten  Follows along with my views on education perfectly.  Tests, worksheets, paper in Kindergarten?  Completely unnecessary.

My apprenticeship is going well, but that is another reason why I have been spending so much time in Whitinsville.  I’ve been attending meetings at the school (including my first PTA meeting) and meeting with the principal weekly.  Next week we are on school vacation, but the public schools are not, so I am going to spend a day there, watching the MCAS process.  I’m really enjoying learning more about being a principal and all that is current with the public school system, but it does make me feel like I would be better in a private school administrative role.  More freedom, and more opportunity to follow my own educational philosophy.

We are waiting to get a date from the APS for testing for Toby.  We’ll also go on and do the neuropsych to see if we can get a diagnosis for his learning issues, so that he will be able to have accommodations as needed.  Luckily, he is an extremely good reader with great comprehension, so he just needs help with writing and spelling.  I’m planning on having him learn to type this summer so he can use a laptop or ipad to help him with writing.

I have a new student in my class.  He was previously home-schooled and has started at the school now because his mother read about my class, and he wanted to try school.  My class continues to be wonderful for me, and parents seem very pleased.  The most exciting thing to me is watching the students’ progress, especially in math. I have more than a few 2nd grade students working on 3rd or 4th grade math skills, including one who just tackled and learned prime factorization!  I had to do a refresher in order to help him!  Next year is still up in the air as far as what grade I will be teaching and whether the program will be expanding, but we should know soon.  Rachel, the other 2nd grade teacher, will not be returning next year due to her husband’s job.  I consider her a friend and we are always opening our doors to talk to each other, I will definitely miss her.  I can’t quite imagine teaching there without her.

Two nights ago was the first night that Sam slept through the night without groaning.  It was lovely for both of us.  He worked four days last week with reduced hours, which is good.  He said that it feels better when he moves it.  His next doctor’s appointment is March 24.

In August, Sam and I are going away for a week without our children.  The longest we’ve been away since having children has been two nights, and I think we just had Lucy then.  Lucy and Toby will be at camp.  Amelia will be at WOL with my parents.  Sam and I are heading to Arizona and the Grand Canyon!  My aunt got us a condo from her timeshare which will be perfect.  Sam is busy looking up places to climb and things to do.

We have next week off for Spring Break.  We don’t have any plans, but Lucy really wants to go somewhere, so maybe we will find a place to go for a night.  I’m planning on relaxing.  Hopefully I’ll be done Mad Men by then and I can get some reading done.

Lucy, Amelia and I went to the Worcester Farmer’s Market today.  I have been meaning to go all winter, but today was the day.  It’s small, but has everything that you would need – meat, eggs, honey, maple syrup, plus extras.  We enjoyed it.  Lucy bought tea bags.  Amelia got a giant brownie, and I bought some bread and ravioli.  Hopefully we can make it a regular event, especially as summer produce begins.

Speaking of summer, it was 55 degrees here today and what a difference it makes in your outlook on life.  We enjoyed open windows and walking without coats.  Of course, we also lose an hour of sleep tonight, due to Daylight Savings.

No comments:

Post a Comment