Monday, July 14, 2014

Random Thoughts



I dropped Toby off today for his first day of sailing camp.  It's a day camp, 8 hours a day.  He is very excited about learning to sail, especially because next week we go to Plymouth for the week and my father will have his sailboat.  Toby thinks he should be able to handle it after this week. :)  There were around 100 children at the drop-off and Toby didn't know one.  He headed off, took a seat, and asked me to leave.  I admire his confidence.

I spent some time last night having a panic attack over Toby entering 4th grade with the learning disabilities that he has.  I googled ways to be a child's best advocate and didn't come away feeling very reassured.  I love the school he is in and I know that they will work with him, but I just don't want his confidence in himself to crumble and I don't want him to hate going to school which I can definitely see happening.  Toby is smart, one of the highest readers with comprehension in his grade, but everything in school is measure through a written output and that is where Toby falls apart.  Most of the accommodations include using some sort of technology to type or record, but I'm never quite sure how that works.  Yes, he can do that at home, but at school when he is handed a worksheet how can using a computer or text to type be used?  He is receiving specific tutoring two times a week (even in the summer) and I'm thrilled to be at a school where that is an option.  I just keep hoping that somehow it will all click and he will be fine, but that's not going to happen.  I need to wait and see how the year goes and be ready to help when needed.  Like I told myself last night, it certainly can't go worse than I am planning.  It can only be better.

After those fun thoughts, I went looking on Netflix for something to watch and saw that Dirty Dancing was streaming.  I watched the whole thing and loved it just as much as every other time.  The clothes are coming back in style.  It doesn't even seem that dated, except for Patrick's high-waisted pants.  I was also struck by the fact that Sam looks a lot like Patrick Swayze, minus the dark hair, same build, but maybe not the same dance moves.

No comments:

Post a Comment